Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Voting

Yesterday I went to vote, and although I am constantly aware that I live on dirt road in the sticks, there are few experiences that cement it more than voting. First we loaded up the children, and drove down the mountain to the municipal building. I remember the first time we went to vote there, I truly did not believe my husband. I thought it was a joke. It's a metal building with garage doors, and piles of gravel along the edges of the muddy parking lot. When you enter, the atmosphere is that of a church supper. Cheerful middle aged women sit at a folding table. They don't have to ask most voters their name. There is only one book to look in. In the corner is another table, laden with casseroles and jello mold. In case you get hungry while you wait...though you never have to wait because it's always pretty quiet. Another cheerful lady handed me my ballot. It was a piece of paper tucked into a privacy folder. I walked into the voting booth, an ancient structure of stained plywood. I pulled the ruffled curtain closed. The pen rolled off the rickety shelf onto the floor, and I grinned at the ladies as I popped out of my allotted space to retrieve it. When I was finished, I put my ballot into the slot on a locked metal box, waved goodbye, and headed back up the mountain.

I am concerned today, that our new President does not value the voters that rolled down muddy country roads to vote. I worry that he does not understand things like the importance of casseroles and jello mold.

6 comments:

Sandra Hanks Benoiton said...

I think he understands perfectly the importance of both, Scraps!

Nobody said...

I hope you're right Sandra. I'm not sure many folks in Washington do.

QueenB said...

Oh no, he DOES understand, he TOTALLY understands......

Savor the memory.

But, we know Our God Reigns, and we do know the ultimate end of the matter. It is events like this that further bind that Truth in my heart.

Nobody said...

Well, the problem is, I think I would have this sinking feeling, regardless of which candidate won. Call me old and jaded, but I am having a hard time mustering up any hope for real change. I just don't envy the guy. He's got a whole lot of messes to clean up. And it's a lot like my house. No one wants to take responsibility for how the mess got there, but they expect it to magically be "fixed".

Anonymous said...

Not to worry, Nobody! I've seen the videos, and I've heard the promises! The winner's gonna pay your mortgage, and even your car payment! Change we can believe in! Yessir! I think they even said he was going to heal our land, which is a pretty good thing, cause yesterday, my land fell down, and scraped its knee... so it's been limping and it makes an awful moaning sound when it's hurt. So hopefully The One will heal it fast, cause I'm quickly running out of neosporin (and patience).

Hmm... I think they did say "OUR land"... I wonder if I have to give him part ownership for that to qualify? Come to think of it, they didn't say "your land".

Nuts.

I wonder if that means he won't our mortgages too? You think I shouldn't have believed the ACORN representatives so quickly? I better see if I can scrape up a mortgage payment too.

Blech.

QueenB said...

Anonymous, that was great! I am still chuckling.........